Saturday, February 7, 2015

Somebody Noticed My Little Bloggy :o)


I am so honored that Laura DeMars of Teaching from Beyond the Desk has nominated me for a Liebster Award. What an awesome way to find out that someone really is reading your blog. Thank you to everyone who stops by and checks out my blog.   :o) 

Why and how long ago did you start blogging?

I have been Googling and researching ideas for my classroom for a long time.  Throughout that research I have come across a lot of cool blogs.  I thought maybe I could do this blog thing. So, last summer I decided to start my blog and chronicle my teaching journey.   

What phrase sums up the heart of your blog and why?

"Thinking Outside of the Box".   For the last three years I have been creating all of the curriculum for our 8th Grade Common Core Math Department.  For the last two years I have also been creating the curriculum for my 1:1 Math Support Class.  I put a lot of thought into the best approach to help my students as they embrace their Math Struggle.  My ideas are unique and not your average methods of approach to teaching.  :o)

Is there something you learned late in your blogging journey that you wish you would have known before?

I have not been blogging for that long.  But something that I have realized is that realistically with an overwhelming load of work, making time for blogging just doesn’t happen.  When I started my blog, I had big dreams of blogging all of the time. I didn’t realize that I wouldn’t have time to blog as much as I want to… :o(

 

How many hours per week do you dedicate to your blog?

I do not dedicate as much time as I would like to my blog.  I tweet more than I blog because that doesn’t take as much time. Tweeting allows me to share my ideas and what is happening in my classroom more regularly.   My goal in the future is to find more time to blog and share more regularly.   

What category of blogs do you enjoy the most?

All of the blogs that I follow are related to education.   I love reading my feed on Bloglovin and getting inspiration from other educators from around the world. 

Which post that you've written are you most proud of?

I am most proud of my blog post: Reflection on my Journey through Common Core.  Writing this blog post allowed me to dig deep and reflect on all of my hard work over the years.  I know that writing meaningful blog posts will help me in the future as I continue to grow as an educator, and as I plan year after year.

What is your favorite aspect of blogging?

My two favorite aspects of blogging are the fact that I am creating a journal of my teaching that I will be able to reflect on in the future.  And the fact that I am able to share my ideas with others and hopefully give them ideas that will be useful in their classrooms.

What is your all time treat/thing that you have when you've had a tough day?

My favorite treat that I hide in my pink refrigerator behind my desk is my Espresso Protein drink.  This indulgence at break and after school gives me the lift I need to get through the day.

11 Random Facts About Me:

#1  I used to be an elementary teacher.  I became a middle school teacher after  finding a passion for teaching math. I love teaching middle school. :o)

#2  I used to own a café before becoming a teacher. I use my catering skills to think  of ways to organize and structure my classroom.  

#3  I love to travel and have traveled to over 15 countries.  I love vacations that involve cruises or tropical beaches. :o)

#4 I have a fear of speaking in front of people and I even get nervous being in front of my class.  I spend most of my time teaching from the back of the room. 

#5  I am very methodical about every aspect of my classroom and teaching  methodology.

#6  I have always been into technology and teaching with 1:1 iPads has been a dream of mine for a long time.  I would love to become an Apple Distinguished Educator.

#7 I love summer and hot weather.  I love lying out in the sun and being in the water.

#8  My dream is to someday move to the coast and have a house near the beach.

#9  I always wonder if anybody is reading my blog.

#10  My dogs mean the world to me and are an important part of my life.  

#11  I love to laugh and I can be quite a goofball, with a hint of sarcasm. :o)



No comments:

Post a Comment