Saturday, August 13, 2016

My Classroom Reveal (2016 - 2017)


I am participating in a monthly blog challenge called Blaugust.  Click the logo below to check out the other participating blogs. :o)


We start school with the students next week, so I have been really busy the last couple of weeks getting my classroom ready.  I have a different schedule this year.  I will be teaching two blocks of 8th Grade Common Core Math, one period of AVID and I will be a Math Coach for one period.  I am a little nervous because I am taking on two new roles.

I am so excited because I spent a lot of time getting my room ready and I am really happy with it. I have a small portable classroom and I wanted to create a comfortable place for students to learn because they are with me for an entire block.

This is a view of my Interactive Math Notebook Shelf. I loved my Growth Mindset Wall so I did not change it. The shelf under my "Change Your Words" wall is where my students keep their IMN and their iMath folders.  I also added a spot for AVID Student Portfolios, and AR Reading Journals.

One of my classroom structures is my "While You Were Out" tray that is on top of the shelf.  This is where I put the notes for students who were absent.  They check the tray when they come back to class. :o)


This is one of the corners in my room, with my AR library and my AVID WICOR wall.  I love my zebra curtains. :o)



This is a view of my front boards.  I loved my saying: HAVE GRIT! Learning is not easy... Dig deep and EMBRACE STRUGGLE so I kept it, but I changed the letters. :o) Underneath my whiteboards is my Mathematicians "Say" word wall.  This is where I will put all of the academic vocabulary words that I want students to use in their team discussions.



This is a view of my back wall.  This is where my "You are a Genius" wall and my "YET" wall are. This is also where I put Team 7 and Team 8. The student information board is by the door.  The black spaces on the wall are for student work.  I have a data wall and my Math "Rockstars" wall for my "Rockstar" competition.


This is "My Spot".  This is where I teach from and give my guided notes from.  I sit on the table with my pillows to make it comfy.  I have to sit when I give my guided notes because I use a Mimio Pad to give notes in ActivInspire. I like this spot because I am in the middle of the room and I can see "everything". :o)



This my student "Behavior Reflection Center". I blogged previously about how our math department uses "Out of Class Timeouts" for students and send them to other math teachers.  This is where students who come to my room on an "OCT" sit and reflect. They are not allowed to turn around and look at my students or interact with my students.  



This is my new iPad cart. I am so excited that I finally got my new iPads set up and I love my new zebra organizer.



This is a view of my teacher desk area.  This is where I spend my lunch time.  :o)



This is a view of my "Student Supply Center" with my new "Thinking is" wall. This is where the team's Resource Monitor will get the team's supplies and where the student supplies for iMath are.

In my student supply center I have: paper, rulers, calculators, protractors, pencil sharpeners, whiteboards, dry erase mats, graphing whiteboards, team supply boxes, color pencils crates, dry erase markers, staplers and hole punchers.



This is a view of my classroom from the door.



This is a view of my classroom from my teacher desk area.



Thanks for stopping by.... I hope I have inspired some ideas for your classroom...


17 comments:

  1. I did not realize you were an AVID teacher. I would love to hear more about how you incorporate WICOR into your lessons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first year of teaching AVID, I am still in the learning phase. I am honestly out of my comfort zone for sure... :o)

      Delete
    2. It is a great program that I have been involved with for almost 15 years. It is amazing and you will be surprised at the change you will be making. I look forward to seeing how you add the strategies to your classes. Keep on sharing.

      Delete
  2. Your craftiness and artistic design clearly at work! Your room looks huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You. It really is quite small, so that was my intention, along with making it cute. :o)

      Delete
  3. Your room is so inviting! Can you tell me more about your classroom superstar contest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been doing my Math Rockstar Competition for 4 years now. The students love it. If students have finished the assignments that I have for that day in iMath, they do My "Math Rockstar Competition". The students earn a star if they reach "Mastery" or "Excellence" in a concept in School21. :o)

      Delete
  4. Your classroom look fantastic. Could you explain how you used the scrapbook paper ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are referring to my posters. I printed out the white part of the posters, and glued them on black construction paper for a border and then glued that on scrapbook paper for color.

      Delete
  5. Hi! I was wondering if you made your own letters for your "learning is not easy" saying. I can't get over your room!!! It looks so great!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... No, I didn't make the letters. The letters are 7" Bling Letters from Teacher Created Resources. :o)

      Delete
  6. Would you be willing to make your ideas and sell them.

    ReplyDelete